Monday, December 10, 2007

Week 8 #18

Well, I looked around all of the social networking sites. The one that appeals the most to me is Ning. The site just plain looks attractive to me. The graphics, colors, and the page setup all look good. I made an account on Ning for an LPC exercise that never panned out. I tried to find my old account by had no luck. So, I made a new one! I will look around and possibly join a network or two.

The other social networking sites did not entirely appeal to me. The cat one looked cute not not enough to make me want to sign up. I personally loathe myspace due to all of the negative publicity surrounding it. But, I actually made an account there for the sole purpose of receiving emails from a rock group that I like(!)

Social networking has its pluses and minuses. Its pluses include making new friends from around the world. Its minuses include threats, harassment, and obscene postings from other group members. I recently cancelled my Flickr account due to to harassment (in the form of lengthy emails and comments on my photos) from another member. I know I had the option of blocking the member but I got so fed up that I wanted to end the whole thing. Yet, at the same time, I have made friends with someone who lives on the other side of the globe. So, I have mixed feelings about social networking. I made another Flickr account and started over again. It's time to begin again.

No comments: